Thursday, October 1, 2009

There Are Few Things I Love More Than Cooking

Quite simply, there are few things I love more than cooking. Just the sheer thought of cooking up something flavorful and aromatic that will make my family's mouths water in anticipation thrills me-- seriously. Some people think cooking's a chore, not me. It's a very rare day when I don't want to cook. Instead, for me, it's a creative outlet. I plan my menus in advance, make a detailed shopping list, and truly look forward to preparing the next meal on my list. Recently, a good friend of mine came to visit and looked at my shopping and menu list for the upcoming weeks. She asked if she could move in. :) I was delighted. Because I do have a true passion for cooking, for the kitchen. Some like to cook OR bake. Me, give me BOTH. I love both. I am equally fond of the savory, fragrant Spanish Daube (a pot roast) that I prepared a few days ago and the cream filled pastries that I can never get enough of. I do have 3 small children, but I make the time to prepare satisfying and delicious meals that all of us can enjoy. I'd like for my children to have fond memories of our family meals as they grow up. It's important to include them and let them assist me in the kitchen when I can. And they love to help! I'm eating up that help now because I know it may not last long!

So, how did this cooking obsession develop? Well, I think it started in high school. I was interested in cooking and remember wanting to experiment a lot, but my Mom, very meticulous, didn't want me to mess up the kitchen. Hence, I didn't get a lot of opportunities to cook. But I do remember trying my hand at some egg custards (custards are still a favorite to this day) and getting such a feeling of satisfaction from having successful baking experiences. When I was in college, I shared a kitchen with many others and it was, thus, not often clean...So I didn't cook a lot then either...But then I went off to France for the first time--to Dijon. It was there, living with a French family, that I had some of the most memorable meals of my life. The mother of the family, Anne-Marie, was a housewife and a fabulous cook. I was spoiled and stuffed with all of her delicious food. She adored cooking and often allowed me to assist her in the kitchen. She would tell me about a certain regional French dish and then prepare it. Her husband, Serge, was very knowledgeable about wines. He would tell me all about the wine he'd chosen for that night's meal and I quickly learned how the right wine pairing can make a meal (and the wine) taste out of this world good!! It was so easy for me to be seduced by the flavors, aromas, history behind the dishes themselves, the lovely conversation taking place during the meal... I would return to France two years later--to Paris. During this stay, I lived alone in an apartment. I took advantage of the open market every week. I miss their markets. Where I live, we don't have markets like that. We do have a large State Farmer's market, but what is lacking there is the focus on presentation. I am a very visual person when it comes to buying fresh ingredients. If care is not taken to make things look their very best, I'm not very enticed. Think of your favorite grocery store...how does the produce section look? It's tidy, right? Everything looks fresh and inviting. That's how the vendors in the French markets kept their items. You were drawn to the produce if by nothing but its presentation.

So anyway, fast forward 12 years and I'm more excited about food and cooking than I've ever been! I've found tranquility and peacefulness in cooking. I love that my hobby is something that is required of me as a housewife. That way, I have a great deal of fun while filling the needs (and stomachs :)) of my family. I aim to get better and better and I've really begun to blossom in the last few years. Before, I didn't make my own bread or jam because I knew no one personally who did it, either (I'm not talking bread machine, either). And a few months ago I thought to myself, why not try it? So I've been making bread and jam since then, and wondering why I took so darn long to get started.

Finally, what is the purpose of this blog? Well, this blog is mostly for me. It's just another creative outlet that will allow me to reflect on some of my culinary endeavors, if you will. It's something I will enjoy looking at years from now I think. This blog is also for my reader. What cook doesn't want to share her food with someone?? In fact, that's the best part about cooking-- sharing the finished product with people you care about and seeing their senses delighted. With that said, you will get to know me better. You may share my passion or not. You may be inspired to try some new things (or not :)). I will share some of my recipes with you. I will give you some tips--some you may know, some not. And I hope to always, always, always, convey my enthusiasm regarding food. I confess, I am a foodie, and I enjoy every buttery bit of it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this.. looking forward to reading your blog. I need this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Hope I can help meet your needs. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do u think a 3.5yr old will like the strawberry balsamic jam? Jeremiah loves strawberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids love it. The youngest doesn't eat jam yet (she's 9 months), but the other two eat it up. They are ages 2 and 4. So I think Jeremiah will enjoy it, too. The balsamic and pepper are not overpowering. It just gives it a more complex flavor. Let me know how he likes it.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
cooking enthusiast who wants to share her passion with those around her

Followers